Wednesday, August 10, 2011

That Night

  We sat, waiting. Waiting for what seemed like years. Talking to counselors and hospital staff. Trying to piece together what had happened to Mom. There is a chance that she was lying in the basement for the better part of 8 hours before my Dad found her, and for that he will hopefully forgive himself.
  Some background on my parents for those of you who do not know them as well. My Grandfather and Grandmother on my Dad's side went to high school with my Grandmother on my Mom's side. My Dad's Dad taught my Mom's Mom how to bake a cake in home-economics class at West Junior High School. My Mom and my Dad were high school sweet-hearts, they have been dating since January 26, 1964. My Dad was the know-it-all in math and science class and my Mom was the quiet artist who needed help with Trigonometry. They got Married on that same date in 1968, and had my brother almost 10 years later in November of 1977 and then I followed in May of 1982. I have a tight-knit family and am so thankful for that.
  Around 9 the Doctor let us see my Mom, she looked better but still it was scary for all of us to see her like that. My mom is a very animated and loving lady, it's difficult to see someone so wonderful that is usually filled with such love and strength fighting for her life. Her temperature was high, she was cold to the touch and seemed very distant even though her eyes were open. Tests that were conducted showed that Mom had had a massive ischemic stroke that covered the left portion of her brain, most of the frontal lobe portion was affected. She was breathing on her own, but not getting enough oxygen to her brain and the doctors decided to go through with inhibation (putting tubes down into her lungs to breathe for her) so that she would get that vital oxygen to her brain. They also noticed that she had phenomena, probably from aspirating while she was laying face-down in the basement. After more tests, they took us to the room that would be my family's second home for the next 15 days. The fourth floor ICU, room 4674.

No comments:

Post a Comment